Thursday, December 1, 2011

London, Berlin, et al.

I'm back, kids! Sorry for the lack of blog-action recently. My trip to London made blogging difficult and now I feel so behind I'm not even sure where to begin. For starters, I haven't yet recapped the MPI conference which I promised to do... I'm sure many of you are waiting for that synopsis with bated breath. Plus today I had my first foray into the world of German health care, a system I can plainly say I knew nothing about until now. Christmas is also blooming in Berlin, with Christmas markets sprouting up all over the city and sausage stands on every corner. Well I suppose the latter is a year round phenomenon but now the stands say Frohe Weihnachten across them and people feel it's appropriate to wash their sausages down with a couple cups of Glühwein (mulled wine) in the middle of a workday.

But now that I've got your attention, let's focus on one thing at a time. London! London was quite lovely, as the Brits say. I like their use of the term "lovely" and I even like being called "love" by strangers. Seems much more genuine than being called "sweetie" for some reason. I have been lucky to visit London in the past, twice with my Oma and Opa who both love the city, and about three times as a study abroad student in Germany. This time, I had a number of people I wanted to see who other than one, I had not seen for a range of 3-6 years. How time flies. Here are a few pictures to give you a sense of what my time there was like- I'll try to categorize them logically.

Fun with British friends from study abroad in Germany:

Fun with Americans for Thanksgiving:

Fun with relatives:

And last, but certainly not least, fun with food:

Big thanks to Sarah & Yannis for putting me up and to all my London friends for the fun times!

No comments: