Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Nikolaustag



Today is Nikolaustag (Saint Nicholas Day). Unlike in the US, in Germany Santa Claus plays a bigger role on the 6th of December than the 25th. The tradition is for kids to put out a boot (think stocking) outside their door the night of the 5th and overnight Nikolaus puts sweets and gifts in each boot. But that's only if the child has been good this year. If not they wake up to find a measly tree branch in their boot instead. Seems somewhat less insulting than coal.. albeit perhaps less useful.

I remember getting some sweets at school when my family lived in Ludwigsburg 11 years ago. I'm not in school or around many people at the moment (yikes Sophia, way to sound depressing), but I bought myself some Haribos last night anyway. And a Gözleme at the Turkish market today (more on those later). So don't you worry about me!

On Thursday I head west to Nordrhein-Westphalen (here on out called NRW- can you blame me?), first to a small town called Soest to visit relatives and afterward a little further west to Düsseldorf to visit Priscilla, who if you remember, came to Berlin my first weekend here.

Ich wünsche euch allen einen schoenen Nikolaustag!

No comments: