Friday, December 2, 2011

Yes, that'll be all.

Something I've noticed, and come to appreciate, about Germans is a lack of judgement in the grocery store check-out line. Or at least no visible judgement, nor embarrassment about purchases. My very scientific deduction of this theory consists of watching multiple people check out with only beer bottles, or miniature white wine bottles, in their baskets. At 10am. On a workday. In the US, I feel this would garner some looks. But here, it's no big deal. Just like seeing two guys in work uniforms drinking beers. At 2pm. On the metro. Like I did today.

Upon further reflection, maybe it's because they are often individual bottles instead of 6-packs. With a 6-pack one might think, oh, he might be taking that to a party later. When it's 6 various loose bottles rolling around the conveyor belt I just picture the guy leaving the store, turning a corner, and drinking them all on the street within half an hour. Another factor to consider is that in Germany and Europe in general, people walk to the store and make multiple smaller trips a week than their American counterparts. So to go out just for some beers is really not so strange when you'll be back less than 24 hours later for your bread and milk.

In this spirit of non-judgement, my purchase tonight consisted of two things: a bar of chocolate and a bottle of red wine. I felt I was entitled, considering it is Friday and yesterday's trip to the fruit and veggie stand was much more virtuous.

Cheers!

Photo taken on a trip to Berlin in 2008- the bar I bought tonight was assuredly not the size of my face.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

this is awesome. my favorite is buying two bottles of beer and candy and thinking oh yes...I am going to have a fun night.