Thursday, March 28, 2013

Going it Alone

On top of the Andes in Mendoza, Argentina: 2009
I'm settling in on the couch with a glass of organic tinto and some dim lighting for this one, because I'm planning on getting a little more personal than usual and need the atmosphere to work with me a bit. I generally try to stay away from divulging too much about my private life here on the old blog, because, well, it seems a bit self-indulgent and narcissistic for one, and two, this blog is public so who knows who's reading it. But I know it makes things interesting and can be cathartic and what not, so here goes.

The weekly market in Lannion, France: 2007
When I first got to Berlin and people asked why I moved here, some would frame it as a question for which they suggested a possible answer. "Oh, so you're studying here?" or "You're teaching English, right?" were both popular, but the most common was actually, "Ah, so is there a guy over here?" One or two people even deigned to ask if I had left the US because of a guy. (I should add that these guesses came from people who didn't know about my German family/language/passport situation, all which make a 26 year old American girl moving to Berlin on a whim by herself without a job somewhat less surprising.)

Who needs a boyfriend when you have Italian statues? Parma: 2006
Not only did a guy not influence my decision to leave the US nor to choose Berlin, but no guy has factored into my life planning for quite some time. As of some day in the upcoming two weeks - I've forgotten the exact date - I will have been sans boyfriend for three years. There was some dating and a few flings here and there, but nothing even approaching serious. I've become the epitome of the single 20 something girl, the one who eats eggs or pasta for dinner in bed while watching Gossip Girl and Downton Abbey. The one who leaves clothes strewn about on the chair all week because it's unlikely anyone will see it. The one who had to race into the bathroom and shave her legs one night while an unexpected suitor waited patiently in the living room, à la Michelle Pfeiffer in "One Fine Day." Fortunately my suitor had not fallen asleep by the time I resurfaced. Unfortunately my suitor was not George Clooney. Maybe I should stop drinking this wine and rein it in a little.

Also not reining it in, Tuebingen: 2006
So no, I didn't move to Berlin for a boyfriend, and haven't found any serious contenders for the position in my almost 1.5 years here yet. But wanting or not wanting a boyfriend was not really the point of this post. The point is, I have watched, half-enviously and half-satisfactorily, as people I know in couples lead similar lives to mine: that is, do the moving abroad, traveling, teaching English to move abroad and travel thing. I am somewhat fascinated by this idea, because I've never had it. "It" meaning the partner to travel and live abroad with, not "it" the great boyfriend, because those I have had. But my international adventures have been overwhelmingly solo ones. Sure, I've traveled and stayed with friends in a lot of places and had plenty of help along the way. But no one was with me when I was lumbering onto the train to Tuebingen with two suitcases, registering for Spanish classes in Buenos Aires, traveling on a night bus to Mendoza, apartment searching in Lannion, battling the border control at the Chunnel from Paris to London, or facing the bureaucrats at the Bezirksamt or Zollamt in Berlin.

One of my first nights in Berlin: 2011
And it's not just those big things: the travel itself, the paperwork acquiring, the apartment assembly, etc. A lot of major and minor life moments happened to me the first time while abroad: eating dinner alone in a restaurant, going to a movie by myself, figuring out how to read a map, learning to cook a proper meal, scraping by on very minimal language skills when an entire group of people relied on me at a cafe. Of course it would have been nice (more than nice, sometimes) to do these things with a partner. But I can't imagine I would have experienced the same leaps of growth, independence, and self-confidence if that had been the case.

Brunch in Tel Aviv: 2012
Of course if the right guy (or even "a right" guy) happens to pop up at my door anytime soon, I certainly won't turn him away. I look forward to finding someone who shares this interest and lifestyle and who I can explore places in the future with, and I have no doubt I'll find him eventually. But in the meantime, I'm happy to enjoy my somewhat crazy, occasionally scary, but extraordinarily fun and exciting life on my own.

10 comments:

Kate Cottrell said...

Love this. I feel I've experienced quite a bit of this in my life too. I think the beauty in what you're experiencing is that you are very capable of being happy without someone - which I think will make being happy with someone much easier when that lucky guy eventually appears. Too many women spend so much time focused on finding the "one" that when they find anyone, they settle because they aren't comfortable just being with themselves. You are a rockstar!

Ann Finkelstein said...

Great pictures. Great attitude.

Bennett said...

Soph! Really nice post, strong writing, and wonderful pictures. As for the substance... I'm proud of you.

Also, things with the statue seem promising.

Claudia said...

meine liebe Sophia ich habe immer deinen Mut bewundert, wie du dein Leben lebst!
All diese wunderbaren Erlebnisse mit jemandem Vertrauten teilen zu können wäre toll gewesen,aber es wäre bestimmt anders gewesen!Bin sicher das der Richtige kommen wird! L.G aus Soest und frohe Ostern meine liebe Sophia

Unknown said...

I appreciate the heartfelt sincerity of this post. You're a strong woman and this is all the more underscored by your unrelentingly sweet and wonderful nature in the face of such trials. I certainly feel for you and understand what how lonely it can get going it alone through all these international hurdles. You deserve the best and I'm sure great things (and a great boy) await you. Berlin can be a rough city and is nothing for the fainthearted, but there are doubtlessly a few good apples out there - we can't be the only ones. ;)

hugs and face kissies

Melissa Godet said...

Sophia: You are amazing. I can relate and I truly appreciated reading this heartfelt post. It sounds like you're doing well. Happy, healthy, and optimistic as usual. Love you, girl.

Tania said...

Immensely proud of the intelligent, independent and cosmopolitan women I can call my daughters. Can't wait to see Berlin and Croatia with you in May mein Engel!
Deine Mama

Rebecca said...

Du hast alles, das du brauchst, und DAS kann man nicht ueber jedermann sagen. Ich wunsche, ich waere so aehnlich wie du.

Dr. Julie Ficarra said...

love love love this! and think your perspective is spot on! I think you're absolutely right in that if you had had a partner adventuring with you around the world it would have been a very different experience, a different kind or growth. Its exciting to think about the experiences you're having and how they will contribute to the eventual partnership that you do have - love you girl! Do yo thang!

itakogaijin said...

Sophia, this is a great post! I love reading about all of your experiences. From a fellow "individual traveler" while it seems tough at times, when I think back about my travels I never think "I wish there had been someone there with me", I think "wow I'm so glad I got to do that! Where should I go next?" Miss you!