Monday, April 2, 2012

Half-Marathon High

Training group pre-race

Well, I spoke too soon on the weather. Saturday we were exposed to bouts of snow and hail (and rain). It was quite the day weather-wise. Temperatures have cooled down considerably, but thankfully the sun came out and we had perfect 45 degree temps for the half-marathon yesterday.

Our trainer, Mike, and I

After completing one half-marathon in the US and one in Germany, I am certainly no expert, but here are some differences I noticed.

German race = way more fun. There was music, there were bands, there was partying, and, there was beer. Alcohol-free beer, but beer nonetheless. And lots of it. After the race people flocked to the beer stands and guzzled down the stuff. I looked on in not-so-mild amusement but didn't partake for fear it would make me nauseous. Instead I opted for lots of water and a nutella crêpe after abstaining from the über-fattening spread all week. And then a celebratory curry at my favorite Thai place. And then a BBQ at a friend's apartment. What? I was hungry!

I will also take this opportunity to brag considerably about my time. I finished in 1:59:56 which was seconds better than the goal I already thought unattainable: 2 hours. After all the difficulties with the job search and other uncertainties in my life, I really needed this victory. A few of my Berlin gal pals also came out to support me, which was so nice.

Today, I am sore as a mo-fo. But it was totally worth it.

6 comments:

Priscilla said...

Go buy some magnesium Brausen Tabletten - you can get them from DM or even from a Rewe supermarket. They work wonders for sore muscles!

Jess said...

woo hoo, go Sophia!! Looks like fun :)

Melissa said...

Congrats!

Kate Cottrell said...

WOW!!!! You.Are.My.Hero. My goal for the half hear? Finish. 2:30 would be nice. Under 2 hours?!!? Wowweewowwow. Get it girl.

Tania said...

BRAVO!!! A much deserved Curry it was. Proud of you.

Kuss, deine Mama

Sophia said...

Why, thank you everyone! Appreciate the support. If I'm here next year I will probably run it again.