Thursday, November 10, 2011

Welcome Wurst

Today I arrived in Berlin. After putzing around the apartment for a couple hours attempting to get my internet to work and unpacking a bit, I felt the hunger pangs hit and decided to take a walk along the nearby Ku'damm and find something for dinner. A bit of Ku'damm background: When the Wall went up, the Ku'damm became the de facto "center" of West Berlin because the city's true center was on the east side. It has since become the ritziest street in the city and one of its most famous avenues, sort of Berlin's version of Paris' Champs-Élysées.

My plan was to head up as far as the Gedaechtniskirche (which is unfortunately being restored until mid-2012 and is totally covered up) and then back down the Ku'damm scouring for restaurants along the way. The thought of sitting down in a real restaurant and interacting with people (ok, the waiter) was more than I could bear in my totally dazed, exhausted state. So instead, I decided to treat myself to the best 2 euro snack Germany has to offer: a bratwurst of course! When I took the first bite I realized how hungry I actually was and devoured the entire thing in the course of one block. I took a picture of myself eating but I look so deranged from fatigue I only dare publish the solo wurst shot.


No comments: