Saturday, December 15, 2012

Transnational

Volkspark Friedrichshain



No matter how much I fly, I always get the pre-trip flutters before a big travel day. Tomorrow I fly back to the States for the first time since May, and through all my excitement to see my parents at the airport, my sister and three closest childhood friends the following day, and a host of family and friends the following 2.5 weeks, I can't help but be somewhat nervous. And my nervousness was only heightened by the news of the devastating Connecticut school shooting today.

A few friends and I gathered this evening to cook our last meal together in 2012 when we learned about the shooting. With four American expats at the dinner, the criticism of the US and many American policies quickly began to fly around the room. We were heartbroken, furious, and at the same time, acutely conscious of how living in Europe has shifted our perspective on such issues. It is clear that any American would feel heartbroken and furious at such news, but no matter how initially shocking, the shock may wear off more quickly because it's becoming tragically commonplace to hear this type of news in the US. School shootings certainly don't happen every day in the US but they happen a hell of a lot more there than here- the US did experience two separate public shootings in the course of this week, after all.

As we digested the news, we also reflected on the fact that such events remind us of why we moved here in the first place. Not because of school shootings in particular, but because the world just functions a bit differently on this side of the Atlantic, and although we all came for different reasons, we find comfort in and feel connected to that world.

The longer I stay in Berlin, the longer I see myself staying here. In many ways, I see raising a family easier here, my quality of life being higher, a certain standard of living guaranteed for me should things get rough at any point, and a basic standard of living for others that I fundamentally believe should be guaranteed to all, especially in a developed country. I certainly don't need to make any long-term decisions now, but I'm aware that eventually the time will come where I have to choose the US or Europe in a somewhat permanent way. And as incredibly wonderful as it is to go home for a visit, it reminds me of everything, and more importantly, everyone, that I have to leave behind should my choice be here.

4 comments:

Kyla said...

man, it's a hard choice, isn't it? if it wasn't for my family, I could stay here for forever. it's becoming more and more tempting with each passing day.

Max said...

lovely post, sophia. and i'm glad i got the last hug of the night! :)

have a wonderful trip home!

-max

Kelly said...

once i saw my mom for the first time in 15 months, i just knew i can't stay so far away forever...that and after a real micro-Brew and a delicious Pinot ha ha. BUT these political issues and facts on the ground become oddly abstract when in the arms and aromas of those we love, in the places they are connected to. sometimes more primordial (or let's say emotional) reasons can influence our decisions, more so than perhaps the influence of statistics and visions of a better world. overall, the choice is less clean-cut than a decision made on some day in June. it may just be a phase abroad that turns into a life...which is almost a scary but exciting thought.

Unknown said...

it's so interesting how totally the same i feel about being here. i can't say that i'm from the other side of the Atlantic, in my case it's just the border, but still it feels so different and so far away. as for the reasons, again it's as if you're reading my mind. also i hear this kind of news from time to time as well, sometimes it's shooting, sometimes conflicts or whatever, but then i start thinking why i left.