Sunday, December 2, 2012

Musings and Markets

Charlottenburg
Same city, same decorations, but man does Christmas in Berlin feel different this year than last year. When I got here just over a year ago, I spent a lot of time strolling Berlin's streets by myself, figuring out where everything was, heading from cafe to cafe to do a little remote work for MPI or continue the job search. Occasionally I met up with Giovanni, or Anna, or one or two other friends of friends that I had been connected with, but otherwise spent lots of time alone. I got locked into a Starbucks one night while downloading movies to watch at home (no internet in my apartment those days), had hours of idle time during the day to do whatever I pleased, and still felt wrong tipping less than 20% at restaurants. Germany was not new for me, but the circumstances of being here were. Things were exciting, but also quite disorienting, kind of how I imagine Santa might actually feel attempting a hand-stand.

Mitte
Now I'm out and about so much I barely have time to watch a movie, or even spend time in Starbucks downloading one. The Christmas kitsch and market photos I do manage to snap I do so hastily, while heading with running group to a late dinner after training, meeting a friend for a quick weekend coffee, or racing home from work to tidy up before people come over.

Kreuzberg
With just a couple short weeks before my trip home for the holidays, I am going to try and soak up as much of Berlin Christmas as I can, because Germany really does Weihnachten better than anyone else. I'm starting with a trip to a Christmas market this afternoon for my first market Glühwein of the season, followed by a trip to another Christmas market with friends tomorrow, and then yet another market next week with colleagues for our work Christmas party. Think that should about cover it.

Ku'damm

4 comments:

Kyla said...

so true! all of it. when I hit one year I had the same thoughts. the Berlin experience I had when I first go here is WAY DIFFERENT than my now-life.

and I think I need to stop making new friends - I have no time to hang out with the ones I already have!!

Christine said...

I completely agree that Christmas in Germany is the most beautiful Christmas in the world!!! What an incredible year you have had-- it's been wonderful to watch it develop from afar.

opa said...

Soeffgen, I am so proud of you. I think your blog is a good thing. It makes you think and evaluate your live. Put every event into perspective. And believe me. Just this morning I said to Ursula I wish I where in Germany for one of this Christmas markets. OPA

Priscilla said...

Hello!

So Micha and his sisters came to visit in London this past weekend. Hyde Park has now opened its Winter Wonderland - which was 75% imported from Germany...including Gluehwein stands sometimes described in German or disguised as Mulled Wine, many tents borrowed from Oktoberfest in its off season, and even some of the roller coasters that travel around Germany each year to go to each city's Kirmes.It was a nice way to kick-off the Christmas season, but I'm looking forward to Bonn and the real version on the 20th. Miss you!