Friday, June 1, 2012

American Foodie

Chocolate Praline Bars at Black's in Bethesda
My friend Sarah who has been living in Spain recently wrote an interesting post defending American food. I'm a self-admitted food snob and at my worst when a conversation turns to the Olive Garden, but I have to say there are certain things I love eating when I'm here and miss dearly when I'm abroad. Thankfully Berlin is a large, cosmopolitan city, so ethnic food abounds and if I hunt long enough, I can find sriracha and jalapenos. Other stuff is pretty much impossible to find, like unsweetened ice tea. All they've got is the artificially sweetened canned stuff or I have to go to Starbucks for a passion-fruit-shaken-light-iced-venti-you get the point. What's nice about American cuisine is that while there is plenty of gross stuff, there is also plenty of great stuff. Not unlike its demography, American cuisine is diverse and can't (or shouldn't) be reduced to one kind or type. Here are some of the delicious goodies this foodie has been munching away on during her 3 week trip home, and while they're not all "American," they all belong to America in some way. Guten Appetit!

A "Magic Bar" and cappuccino from Petsi Pies in Cambridge
Julia's pulled pork feast in South Carolina
Nachos with beef and a margarita at Rio Grande in Bethesda
Bagel and lox brunch in the backyard 
Beignets at Founding Farmers in DC
French cheese from Brooklyn


3 comments:

Sarah said...

Now I am SO HUNGRY.

CK said...

Some of this looks mighty familiar! YUMMY

Kate Cottrell said...

I was once dating a guy who said Olive Garden was his favorite restaurant...I told my friends and they all knew (as did I) that the relationship had no future. Thanks for sharing my sentiments - just one of the many reasons we are friends! :)