Saturday, September 8, 2012

Istanbul Firsts

Merhaba! I've been in Istanbul since Monday for work, and though it's my third time here, I've had a number of "firsts" on this trip.

My first time driving over the Bosporus bridge (before I had only ferried it), crossing from Europe to Asia.


My first Raki, Turkey's most beloved spirit that tastes like Ouzo or Sambuca. I'm not a fan of anise, so after a few sips I switched back to my red wine.


My first experience eating boiled lamb brains. Taste was bland, texture was entirely too mushy for me. They should fry them. Everything tastes better fried!


And to conclude, a much more pleasant eating experience: my first time in a Turkish patisserie. While we shopped around the over-priced store we were given free samples of fresh strawberry and cream filled rolls and chocolate and left with one of those cakes covered in shaved white chocolate you see below. We had to make working on a Saturday more bearable somehow!

6 comments:

dore said...

uaargh, lamb brain *würg* did you eat more than just a tiny little piece of it?!

Dr t said...

Did they have Turkish delights, or are those like French fries?

Sophia said...

@Dore: only one small bite, indeed. It was pretty gross.

@Mama: Turkish delight I bought today! It's not at all like French Fries, haha. More like gelatin with nuts and other goodies covered in shaved coconut and sugar. Pretty yummy.

KelMel said...

I always thought that Turkish delight was like French fries, in the sense that it wasn't even Turkish. THEN I ate some at the Turkish market here in Berlin and became a believer. The brain I cannot get behind - I just don't understand how the orange could make a roll of pink tissue any more appetizing! Then again, the Germans eat something called 'liver cheese'.

Danae said...

¡Quiero los pasteles!

Priscilla said...

One of my favorite cities. ;-) What's your next stop? we're going to have to see who has more frequent flyer miles at the end of the year...Miss you!