Friday, February 10, 2012

Baby, it's f'in cold outside.

Let's get something straight. The reason my status updates on Facebook have been primarily weather-focused is not because I'm a weakling and can't deal with a little cold, and it's not because I'm boring. Please don't think I'm boring.

The truth is, I'm not a winter person. I prefer sun and heat and shorts and walking leisurely down the street with an ice cream to anything winter-related. But that doesn't mean I can't handle it. I've stood witness to DC blizzards so bad they were given names like "Snowpocalypse" and "Snowmaggedon." I survived half hour walks to and from school in a Boston winter that lasted almost six months. I am accustomed to wearing tights under jeans, donning two or more sweaters at a time, and whatever else is involved in the proverbial "bundling up." But what we've been dealing with in Berlin and all over Europe these last couple weeks is pretty serious. There was even snow on the beach in Mallorca!

Thankfully Berlin hasn't been hit the worst, but it hasn't been pretty either. Temperatures for the past two weeks have been well below freezing and even hit minus figures on the Fahrenheit scale. Yet life goes on! And in my case, so does outdoor half-marathon training three times a week.

Even Bertolt Brecht looked a bit cold and lonely, so I gave him some company and adjusted his friend, the snowman: